Guest Staff Information
Bettendorf Community School District welcomes applications from individuals interested in serving as Guest Staff.
Click here to link to complete an application:
- Select the Broken Down by District link and choose Bettendorf Community School District.
- Choose the Substitute link and click the APPLY button for the position(s) in which you are interested.
- Once you complete your application, don't forget to "submit" your information.
Once your application is reviewed, you will be asked to pick up an employment packet from the Human Resources Office, at the Bettendorf Community School District Administration Center, 3311 18th Street, Bettendorf.
You should complete all necessary items and return to the Human Resources Office.
Minimum requirement of a high school diploma or equivalent.
Due to COVID, there is a temporary suspension requiring a baccalaureate degree or higher from a regionally accredited institution to be issued a substitute authorization, but only to the extent that the applicant instead has achieved an associate's degree or completed 60 semester hours of college coursework from a regionally accredited institution. Please inquire with Scott Community College or the Mississippi Bend Area Education Agency about the substitute authorization course.
Teacher applicants should be aware information needed for employment includes:
- Copy of current Iowa teaching license
- Official college/university transcripts
- Proof of training for Right-to-Know: Hazardous Chemicals, Blood-borne Pathogens, Mandatory Reporter (Child Abuse), Bully Prevention, and Ethics for Iowa Educators.
When employment paper work and processing is completed you will be notified and your name will be added to our Guest Staff roster.
Statewide Substitute Authorization Course Providers
Click here to view courses across the state!
- Questions about other AEA course offerings should be directed to that AEA
You may also contact your local AEA directly
Upcoming Mississippi Bend AEA Substitute Authorization course!
This 20-hour course is designed to meet the requirements for the Substitute Authorization License. According to the Governor of Iowa’s Proclamation as of July 17, 2020, and for the duration of the proclamation, you can receive a Substitute Authorization License if you hold a bachelor’s degree to an associate’s degree or 60 semester hours through a regionally-accredited institution. The age requirement is 20 years of age or older.
Holders of a career and technical authorization with at least one year of experience may serve as a substitute in any classroom (except driver education) as long as they hold the substitute authorization license.
The course includes components on ethics, diversity, instructional strategies, and behavior management.
When you are ready to register
- Log into our AEA Professional Learning site
- Use the same login information as you do for Bloodborne Pathogens, Right to Know, Mandatory Reporter, etc
- If you do not have an account, create an account at AEA Learning Online
- The NEXT BUSINESS DAY, log into our statewide AEA Professional Learning site using the same email and password you used on the AEA Learning Online site.
- On the COURSES tab, you can type in the course or section number or simply click on the links provided for you
Requirements: This class will be held virtually using Zoom from 5:00 - 8:00 pm. You will need a computer with a camera and a microphone to participate in the class. You will be given a video link for each day of class to connect with the session. There will be homework assignments to be completed in addition to the Zoom sessions. YOU MUST ATTEND ALL SESSIONS AND COMPLETE ALL WORK TO PASS THIS CLASS.
How to apply for your Substitute Authorization license
The process can be started as soon as you know the course you are taking is going to be held. It takes 4-6 weeks for you to get your license.
- Visit the BOEE License Site
- PDF of your AEA Course Transcript showing you completed the Substitute Authorization course
- PDF of your Official College Transcripts (paras will add this as an endorsement to a para license). At this time you will need to verify an AA degree or 60+ hours of college credit
- Fingerprint Cards Directions for fingerprinting
- When you start your application you will be asked how you want to receive the fingerprint packet and you should indicate you want one mailed to you.
- Complete at your local police station (fees range from $0 – 20)
- Fees payable to the BOEE; paid online during the application process: Total = $163
- Background Check – $75 You will need this even if you had one done for another organization or school. Waived only for those with a BOEE issued coaching authorization or Para License.
- Application - $85 + $3 debit/credit card processing fee
- License Term
- Five years
- Renewal Requirements
- Earn two re-licensure credits within five years
- Credits may be earned at the AEA or an accredited college/university
How to let districts know you are ready to substitute teach
- AEA’s do not place substitute teachers
- Having the license does not guarantee work
- Contact your preferred school district and apply
- A list of Mississippi Bend AEA school districts can be found here (you must follow district employment practices)
- Visit www.teachiowa.gov for more opportunities
- Visit the HR page of the district you are interested in