Phone: (563) 359-3681 | Fax: (563) 359-3685
Hours: Monday - Thursday 7:30 am - 4:30 pm | Friday 7:30 am - 4 pm
Excellence in Education
The Bettendorf Community School District enjoys a rich tradition of excellence in education. We provide our students a multitude of learning opportunities designed to prepare them for making a living, making a life, and making a difference.
We recognize our students come to us with individual talents and interests. Our highly skilled and dedicated staff is fortunate to teach students who have a desire to be challenged and achieve. They work personally with each student, taking earnest responsibility for helping our community's children realize their educational goals and prepare for their future.
We invite you to visit our schools and our community. See for yourself the great opportunities that abound in the Bettendorf Community School District.
Vision | Mission | Belief Statements
Educational excellence is the foundation of the Bettendorf Community School District. Working in partnership with the family and community, we will instill and nurture in all students the knowledge, skills, creativity, and confidence to pursue their dreams and to succeed in a global society.
- Excellence in student learning, our measure of accountability, is the hallmark of our school district.
- High expectations for students, staff, parents, and community lead to excellence.
- Although not all students learn at the same time or in the same manner, all students can and shall learn.
- Family and community support are critical to student success.
- To best meet the needs of our students, staff should be motivators, innovators and professional role models.
- Student learning occurs best in a safe, nurturing, respectful, and positive environment, which is supported by quality facilities and resources.
- Basic academic skills are the foundation for successful lifelong learning.
- Rigorous and relevant learning experiences challenge our students to think and solve problems creatively.
- A quality school district embraces diversity and promotes mutual respect.
- A quality school district seeks continuous improvement.
- A quality school district is responsive and accountable.
- Visionary leadership to achieve the goals of our school district is a responsibility shared by staff, students, parents, and community.
Bettendorf Community School District
The Bettendorf Community School District is a flagship school district established in 1907. The district provides a wide variety of educational programs for nearly 4,700 preschool through 12th grade students.
We personalize learning so that all students are engaged, passionate, and able to connect learning in school to their futures by:
- Engaging students in robust and dynamic learning experiences inviting exploration, discovery, collaboration, critical thinking and creation
- Leveraging technology in order to support differentiated instruction
- Enabling students to set goals and make choices about their futures
The district boundaries include approximately nine square miles of Bettendorf, Iowa as well as a small section of Davenport, Iowa. There are seven schools in the district: five elementary schools, one middle school, one high school with an alternative high school program (shared with Pleasant Valley & North Scott high schools).
Our elementary curriculum emphasizes literacy, communication, reasoning, and problem solving. Other subjects, including physical education, health, art, and music, are taught to all students K-5. Orchestra is available to students as early as grade 4 and, band - grade 5.
The district’s five elementary schools offer a program dedicated to teaching a defined core of knowledge and skills in reading, math and science.
At Bettendorf Middle School, our teachers work in teams to plan and provide meaningful, relevant learning experiences that require students to meet content area standards and to develop 21st century skills. Through a "house" concept each grade level is divided into multiple sections, allowing teachers and students to develop stronger relationships and to foster a sense of community. Bettendorf Middle School is made up of a team of professionals dedicated to meeting the academic and social needs of the young adolescent.
Bettendorf High School is a four-year comprehensive, 1:1, high school serving approximately 1,477 9th-12th grade students. The current site of the Bettendorf High School campus opened in 1973. All academic areas of the high school have been renovated with structural and technological updates, creating a state of the art facility. These improvements facilitate unique and comprehensive learning opportunities for all students. The expansive, air conditioned high school features a landscaped inner courtyard, a state of the art planetarium, a spacious library and media center instructional area, 1:1 fully networked computer labs, student commons area, and a state of the art 840 seat performing art center. The athletic/activities facilities include multiple gymnasiums, updated and highlighted athletic field complex, Olympic sized swimming pool, and a fitness/weight training center.
- 4x4 Block Schedule. Students attend four(4) 90 minute classes each day. Courses are 9 weeks or 18 weeks in length. Students with a block schedule may earn 8 credits per year. Mid-term reports are issued to students each quarter and final grades are given each 9 weeks. BHS also offers year long courses in a 40-minute format.
- A 4.0 Grade Scale is used with 9-week courses receiving .5 credits, and 18-week courses in which students earn 1.0 credit.