FAQ (Coming Soon)
On Tuesday, March 2nd, the Bettendorf Community School District asks its residents to vote on the renewal of the District’s Revenue Purpose Statement.
- This is NOT a property tax or increase in taxes but a distinction of how we intend to spend the tax already collected through the state one-cent sales tax.
- Approval of District use of funds, including but not limited to, construction, infrastructure, technology, principal and interest payments.
- Allows the District to borrow against future penny sales tax revenues if needed.
“With the support of our community, we’ve been able to provide high-quality facilities and technology for our students. Approval of the revenue purpose statement allows school districts to better plan for future school facility and infrastructure needs.”
Bettendorf Board of Education
IN THE NEWS
RPS Renewal Vote - March 2nd - Jan. 7, 2021
Shall the following public measure be adopted: Yes | No
Summary: To adopt a Revenue Purpose Statement specifying the use of revenues the Bettendorf Community School District will receive from the State of Iowa Secure an Advanced Vision for Education Fund.
In the Bettendorf Community School District, the following Revenue Purpose Statement which specifies the use of revenues the Bettendorf Community School District will receive from the State of Iowa Secure an Advanced Vision for Education Fund shall be adopted.
- To provide funds for property tax relief.
- To provide funds to acquire or install information technology infrastructure (including improving buildings or sites for the purpose of accessing broadband digital telecommunications) and school safety and security infrastructure.
- To provide funds to build and furnish a new school building or buildings; to build and furnish addition(s) to school buildings in the District; to remodel, reconstruct, repair, expand, and improve the school buildings in the District; to purchase and improve grounds; for demolition work; to furnish and equip district facilities.
- To provide funds for the purchase, lease or lease-purchase of buildings, equipment (including transportation and recreation equipment), or technology and to repair transportation equipment for transporting students as authorized by law, to implement energy conservation measures, sharing or rental of facilities including a joint infrastructure project for the purposes of offering classes under a district-to-community college as authorized in Iowa Code Section 423F.3(3)(c), procuring or acquisition of libraries, or opening roads to schoolhouses or buildings.
- To provide funds to purchase land as part of start-up costs for new student construction program or if the sale of the previous student construction was insufficient to purchase land, and to purchase construction materials and supplies for a student-constructed building or shed intended to be retained by and used by the District.
- To provide funds to make payments to a municipality or other entity as required under Iowa Code Section 403.19(2).
- To provide funds for demolition, cleanup, and other costs if such costs are necessitated by, and incurred within two years of, a disaster.
- To provide funds to establish and maintain public recreation places and playgrounds; provide for supervision and instruction for recreational activities; or for community education purposes.
- To provide funds for the payment of principal and interest or retirement of general obligation bonds issued for school infrastructure purposes, energy improvement loans, loan agreements authorized by Iowa Code Section 297.36, sales, service and use tax revenue bonds issued under Iowa Code Section 423E.5 or Iowa Code Section 423F.4; and
- To provide funds for other authorized expenditures and purposes as now or hereafter permitted by law and designated by the Bettendorf Community School District.
It being understood that if this proposition should fail to be approved by the voters, such failure shall not be construed to terminate or restrict authority previously granted by the voters to expend receipts from the Secure an Advanced Vision for Education Fund.
If approved, this Revenue Purpose Statement shall remain in effect until replaced or amended by the Bettendorf Community School District.
If a majority of eligible electors voting on the question fail to approve this Revenue Purpose Statement, then upon expiration of the current Revenue Purpose Statement, revenues received by the School District from the Secure an Advanced Vision for education fund shall be expended in the following order:
- The payment of bonds for which SAVE Revenue has been pledged
- Reduction of on levies under Iowa Code Sections 298.18 and 298.18A and all other debt levies
- Reduction of the regular and voter-approved physical plant and equipment levy under Iowa Code Section 298.2
- Reduction of the public educational and recreational levy under Iowa Code Section 300.2
- For any authorized infrastructure purpose if the school district as defined in Iowa Code Section 423F.3(6)
- For the payment of principal and interest on bonds issued under Iowa Code Section 423E.5 and 423F.