BCSD Virtual Backpack
Community activities available to your student
BCSD Administration Center
3311 18th St., Bettendorf, IA
(563) 359-3681, Ext. 3002
Private Instruction means instruction using a plan and course of study in a setting other than a public or organized accredited nonpublic school. It includes competent private instruction (by a licensed practitioner or a non-licensed person), independent private instruction, home school assistance programs, and non-accredited nonpublic schools.
Competent Private Instruction
Competent Private Instruction (CPI) means, briefly, instruction provided on a daily basis for at least 148 days during a school year by or under the supervision of a licensed practitioner or other person which results in the student making adequate progress.
There are two options for enrolling a student under CPI in Iowa.
Option 1: by or under the SUPERVISION of a licensed PRACTITIONER
- Choosing this option requires you to submit a Form A to the district by September 1 of the enrollment year.
- It also requires you to submit evidence of immunizations upon first time enrollment.
- Students may dual enroll in academics or extra curricular activities.
- The Iowa Assessments shall be provided at no cost to fulfill the annual assessment option by notifying the district home school coordinator by October 6.
Option 2: by a non-licensed person
- The child is receiving private instruction by a non-licensed person.
- You MAY but are not required to submit a Form A to the district by September 1 of the enrollment year.
- You MAY but are not required to be assessed annually. The Iowa Assessments shall be provided at no cost. Please notify the district home school coordinator by October 6.
- The student MAY dual enroll in academics or extra curricular activities. IMPORTANT - Form A, evidence of immunizations upon first time enrollment, and annual assessment results MUST be filed with the District if the student dual enrolls.
The Private Instruction Handbook 2016-2017 is an excellent source of information about the options, requirements, and responsibilities of private instruction published by the state Department of Education. Please familiarize yourself with this information.
If a child has been identified as requiring special education programs or services, please consult the handbook for options and procedures.
The Private Instruction Comparison Chart is a simple guide to help determine what is required for the private instruction option you choose. The chart explains Competent Private Instruction vs Independent Private Instruction.